M2 Ammo Box

Used durring World War Two WWII

  • Adopted September 21, 1942
  • 1942 – 1945
  • Used for .50 caliber ammunition
  • Held 105 rounds of .50 BMG ammo in links
  • Full weight of 35 pounds
  • Packed as two M2 boxes, in wooden box (approximately 72 pounds)

Construction DetailsĀ 

  • 7.5 inches high
  • 6 inches wide
  • 2.25 inches long
  • Steel material
  • welded seams
  • made in several patterns
  • Side-opening hinged lid
  • Lid is removable by sliding the lid pins off the hinge tubes
  • Top edge hinge is rolled small tubes attached to the body of the box and the lid
  • Metal bar handle attached to the lid by rectangular wire loops
  • Handle folds flat for stacking or lift up for easy carry
  • A wire loop on lid connects with a latch on side of can, to clamp the lid down
  • Rubber gasket under lid
  • Wire loop on the end panel to mount the box to a M2 machine gun
  • Top and sides have embossed recessed areas for added strength
  • painted semi-gloss olive drab
  • two cartridge shapes embossed, one on each end, to indicate the direction of loading

Manufactured by

  • BURROWES
  • NMPC
  • BURROWES
  • MODERN
  • and others

Information on the M2 .50 cal. ammunition can

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)